A lot has happened since my last real update. I’m feeling a bit tired right now from my temporary move (see below), so I’ll just list random stuff that happened in no particular order. (I’ve added on to some of the things below since I took some time to upload this blog entry)
- In-Service Training at Kibuye on Lake Kivu with the other PCV. We spent an entire week discussing our first 3 months at site and projects we are working on and issues we are having. It was extremely helpful and I brought back great ideas to the Cooperative of PLWHA and Hospital I work at. Plus, it was great seeing everyone together again and the location was perfect.
- FINALLY participated in Umuganda…well sort of, but I’ve gotten closer than ever. I visited a fellow PCV (Sonia) in Kigali and we heard a crowd of people singing, shouting and clapping marching down the road. Sonia took a pic and people were telling us to join them and so we went along since neither of us have done it before. It was a lot of marching, clapping and dancing from about 8AM to 10AM and when we finally got to the site where people had to work (local Cemetary), we were waiting around for an hour before people started actually working. We left at 11AM and didn’t Umuganda is mandatory Community Volunteer work that happens every last Saturday of the month. Transportation all over the country stops from 7AM till 11AM and all stores are closed during this time. Everyone is obligated to do it, even the President himself. I will say however though that people think ‘Muzungus are incapable of doing it due to the physical labor and believing we are somehow delicate. No joke. I’ve been told to just clean my room instead. Ok…
- Went to a Dowry Ceremony and rode a taxi bike…both first time experiences on the same day. It was terrifying riding the bike as a passenger, but cheap. I went to the Dowry Ceremony with an American friend that lived in my village and we were somehow made honorary guests and given seats instantly when we arrived even though the place was packed. Afterwards was the Church Ceremony, but I was way too tired from the 3 hour bus ride that morning from Kibuye back to site. Plus, my ankle was hurting from slipping on moss and falling into Lake Kivu. Bruised up my entire left side of my body. My camera battery was low, so I didn’t get to take pictures. However, there will be many more weddings and I am always asked to go because they feel it is an honor to have a ‘Muzungu there.
- Another American moved into my village and so there were 3 Americans, including myself, here for a few weeks…but now I’m back to be being the only ‘Muzungu living here
- Got sick, felt better and then got sick again…now I feel better again!
- Ate turkey at my resource family’s house in Kigali, but it didn’t really taste like turkey
- Planning on going to Egypt in October to see the folks…hopefully!
- Met a VSO (Canadian) who works in my Sector and will be here for a year
- Wrote up a proposal for Books for Africa (along with some my fellow PCVs) so hopefully it works out and my local Secondary School (equivalent to High School and then some) will get some books/computers through fundraising
- I’ve moved back to the Guesthouse in the Hospital…just for 3 weeks though while the church’s visitors are here. I’ll be back “home” by the end of September. Mayor promised electricity by August of this year and since we have a few days left, I am thinking that’s not happening. People are hoping to have electricity here by next August. Still think it’s weird how the district I live in is right next to Kigali and yet, we aren’t connected to the electric power grid.
- Got amazing packages from family and friends…but one of the packages had maggots. Some of the best things were Axe Deodorant Sticks, Chipsahoy, Instant Oatmeal, Zebra Cakes.
- I finally received two postcards sent from my friend Michelle when she was in Iceland back in March! I also got another postcard from my friend Jean when she visited Istanbul. I can’t wait to travel…
- I’ve been in Rwanda for 7 months!
- A friend at the hospital had a baby last month and I’ll be going to a Baby Naming Ceremony (Kwita Izina) in a few weeks. The baby has a Christian name already (given by the 8th day of being born), so now he needs a Kinyarwandan name and everyone at the party will be asked to give one. I need to think of something awesome…
- I think I am becoming Rwandan after this happened: I was heating up water to take a warm bucket bath and as I was in the kitchen a hairy spider the size of my first scared the crap out of me and my immediate reaction was to say “Ego ko Imana”, which translates to ”Oh my God”..no joke
- Found out 14 PCVs from Mauritania (their volunteer program was recently suspended) will be joining the new group of volunteers coming here in October
- The front door to the house came off the hinges and broke again
- My English class (teaching Hospital Staff) continues to be awesome and there are a few weeks left before we finish the Beginners Level and then I’ll throw them a party with Sambosas, Chapatti and Fantas (they don’t know it yet). Now that I think of it, I have no idea what to do for Intermediate Level. I’m sure I’ll think of something by then…
- Working with my fellow PCVs to organize a Camp GLOW (Girls Leading Our World) in November. We are planning about a week worth of events and activities. Definitely looking forward to it.
- Still working on giving presentations to Community Health Workers and at some of the Health Centers (time and transportation is an issue on going to each Health Center monthly).
- Getting an awesome bed frame built for my room and hopefully it will be ready by the time I move back to my house.
- I am tired of my same old clothes. I want to wear something different. I need to shop at the market in the next town over for shirts.
- My current favorite movie is Nick & Norah’s Infinite Playlist because it was filmed in NYC and I love seeing the city neighborhoods and being reminded of home.
- Thanks again for the support. I promise to take more pics and vids (check out my youtube link below). Leave a comment…I look forward to reading them!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
Edison! So good to hear you're not sick anymore! I also talked about our umuganda experience in my blog...it was def. worth mentioning. Oh and it's funny cause I also bought you Axe deoderant sticks from France. I wanna see N &N' infinate playlist! Sorry you have to temporarily relocate to your old house (I think it's kinda messed up to kick you out when you pay rent) but at least you can practice French with the Belgian doctors...lol. K ttyl
Thanks Sonia! It does suck that I need to move back to the guesthouse (with no power whatsoever), but I am not paying rent for these 3 weeks. Also, they are Congolese Doctors, not Belgian. Chinese food sometime this week? lol
LOL at you being percieved as "delicate"... Nick and Norah was sooo good but it was kinda gross when the girl dropped her gum in the you know what and still ate it!!! EEEWWWW. I still get flashbacks of that scene.
Miss You!
Marteenio
We can't wait to see you in October, make a list of what do you need.
Love u
Hi Edison,
Johan came by the job with the presents this past week. I love that baskets. Thanks much. I hope you are better! Kimberly says hi.
I will be sending another package soon. Take care and keep writing the blogs.
Love, Ida(your other mother)
Hey Primo, Interesting Blog! Big hairy spider, huh!?!? Well glad ur doing good! Keep up the good work! BESOS
Denice
Just read the post. I can see there has been alot going on since I wrote on this blog. Your parents seem really excited about seeing you in Cairo. They ask me if I've read the blog but tell them I haven't got around to it. Today is Labor Day so no work on Monday. There is a book I'm about to start reading its called "The Trouble With Africa" by Robe5rt Cardisi - Why foreign aid isn't working. The premises seems to be more on the political level so don't be discouraged by the title. Looks like you're doing the right thing according to the author. I wish you best cuz. Look forward to seeing you at the wedding, and keep us updated. Send out something on Facebook when you have new blog post if possible. Stay up, and hope you enjoy your time out there. PEACE and LOVE.
Hey Eddie,
Its been a while, sorry. I'm glad you're doing well. I've seen your pics last night on FACEBOOK. Again I want to thank you for the lovely gift u sent. Did you do that one by hand? LOL.
I've been swamped at work and home. Busy getting the kids ready for back to school. Pete was singing the Staples jingle "It's the most wonderful time of the year..." to the kids - they of course did not find that amusing... LOL.
Evie's complaining back pains and is due anyday now so watch out for ZOE. I'll try to update FACEBOOK.
Don't know if you're a football fan, but the season has started and well, the teams I've watch w/my family won. Cowboys won, Giants won, Jets won and the Patriots got lucky and won too.
Anyway... you take good care!!!
Moni
SALUDOS DESDE ORLANDO FLORIDA ESPERO ESTES BIEN DE SALUD DESEANDOTE LO MEJOR HOY Y SIEMPRE EN COMPANIA DE TUS PADRES QUE POR SIERTO ESTAN UNOS DIAS CON TIGO FELICIDADES YRECUERDOS DESDE MIAMI DE SONIA PACO E HIJAS FUERTE Y SIGUE ADELANTE EN TUS PROPOSITOS YMETAS PARA ASI SER EL MEJOR TE QUEREMOS PACO
Post a Comment